[Coco] Dragon Disk Basic commands/syntax

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 24 16:54:32 EDT 2006

Robert Gault wrote:
> I was asked to write a program to transfer files from Dragon disks to
> Coco disks. I think I now have one ready for use even though all it does
> is move the files while making no other changes. Obviously any Dragon
> file needs to be altered to some extent to make it usable on a coco.

Remember also that Dragon Basic and machine code files have a 9 byte
header with things like filetype, load & exec address etc.

> It is the last statement that I'd like clarified. Is there any Dragon
> file type usable on the Coco with essentially no changes? I had assumed
> the Dragon could save Basic files in ASCII format but have been unable
> to verify this in any of the specs I've found on the Dragon.
>
> Is there the equivalent of SAVE"filename.BAS",A on the DRAGON? Is it
> possible to create Dragon Basic files in ASCII format by any method?

It would appear that save"filename",a does not work, and indeed is not
documented in the DragonDos manual :) I guess you'd have to write it to
the CoCo disk and then re-tokenize it. If you wanted to get cleaver you
could always check for the filetype when doing the transfer and
retokenize as you copy.

The other method that may work, is to open a disk file and list the
program to it, this however would probably have to be done in machine
code / assembler.

Cheers.

Phill.