[Coco] Weird errors(DSK images.. NOT!!)

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Sun Sep 17 17:27:48 EDT 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:

> I followed the linux instructions on the nitros9 web page today, and made 2
> disks in a row that worked.  I ought to write that on the calendar...

So did I. Doesn't work. Never has. You want an account on my FC4 or FC5
box and see if you can make it go?

Must be something specific to FC. I think it worked back in the RH8 days.

> Yes, but first you have to have a working serial port on the coco, and to
> my amazement, the bootfile that made those .dsk images didn't put a serial
> descriptor or driver of any kind in the .dsk.  So one of the first things
> I gotta do is transport known good drivers to the 2nd disks modules dir,
> and figure out howto edit my.bl to incorporate them.  If that works, then
> I'll build yet another disk with the tc^3 scsi drivers & descriptors  in
> it.

Well, I think that I didn't make myself clear on that.

What's the point of transferring a nitros9 image to a CoCo that's
already running nitros9?

I'm thinking of the old CoCo enthusiast who's retrieved the CoCo 3 from
the attic and wants to fire it up again. Probably doesn't have nitros9
to play with. Certainly that individual might find it annoying that the
first step to create a nitros9 disk would be "step 1: find a computer
and install linux on it"

A program that could be loaded on the CoCo either via cassette emulation
(maybe an mp3 that could be played with a sound card) and then something
on the x86 side to serially transmit the disk image would be a lot easier.

Just a thought on that matter.