[Coco] Weird errors

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Sep 16 13:52:15 EDT 2006

On Saturday 16 September 2006 12:02, Christopher Hawks wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Saturday 16 September 2006 09:29, Boisy Pitre wrote:
>>> After looking at the xmode.asm source and examining the compatibility
>>> issue that has plagued users of tmode, I am considering a different
>>> approach than the one I expressed in the email below.  Specifically,
>>> I am considering resurrecting the old tmode/xmode utilities and
>>> renaming the current "new syntax" tmode/xmode to some variant, such
>>> as tmode2/xmode2 and including those as part of an enhanced utilities
>>> package that would also include things like bawk and other commands.
>>> This utility package would be downloadable as a separate disk image
>>> alongside NitrOS-9.
>>
>> Given the trouble this has caused, including for me, I vote for the
>> above scenario. Those that need it can still get it, but via this
>> method, all the legacy stuff runs again by default.  In re xmode, iirc
>> there is an original, and a more all-encompassing version that covered
>> the windows related stuff and expanded on the rs-232 controls.
>> Syntacticly compatible with the original for those options the original
>> covered, I'd vote for the second edition of xmode to be the one
>> restored.  I don't know if there was an expanded tmode or not, never
>> having encounterd it or a need for it that I know about now.
>
> Me too!
>
> Gene, are you thinking of exmode?? I have it on my AT306 (OS9-68000,
>running from Compactflash), and ISTR there was one for Level 2 as well.
>
> Maybe exmode and etmode as the new versions.

This one wasn't called exmode though.  This one was slightly post level 2
by a year or so.

Anyway, that got my curiosity up, so I fired up what little of a system I
have since the drive change, did a cx to /dd/MAXTOR/cmds to get to the
exec dir of the image of my old drive, and I have an xmode with the new
syntax (eko=) and a tmode with the old echo, -echo syntax.  Since xmode is
something *I* do from the cli, where tmode is something a program would
use, I have tolerated that difference for years.  And I still could, but
its rather frustrating to try and make a new boot disk, using the commands
to make a new one, while running from the floppy boot when things don't
work smoothly because that tmode doesn't.  So I've yet to succeed.

Too many things missing.  The stock nitros9 boot does not contain a
working /t2 so I can use one of these machines as a relay to the network.
From the symptoms, both an 8n1 missmatch, and a flow control miss-match
exists.  I can type at human speeds from one machine to the other, but any
attempt at a file transfer never gets past the 10th byte by the time
zmodem gives up.  I've used the new xmode to make the default /t1 into an
image of my old /t2 descriptor, but apparently more has been changed and
it doesn't work, where it did once work at 750 cps with full flow controls
and no errors when using rz/sz.

I've not been able to make a boot disk containing the sacia and t2.dd from
a known working floppy boot from a decade back that will actually boot
instead of locking up like it can't find cc3go.  Ditto for any attempts to
put my personal version of cc3io, which contains my seriel mouse driver
and the hooks to wecho etc to run my 2nd monitor into it.  And ditto again
for any attempts to build a new boot disk with the tc^3 scsi driver in it.
Since that locks me out of my personal archive right there, its no longer
fun when I can only make the fdutils work to read or write an os9 disk
using dd about once in 50 tries, I've given up on the sneakernet aspect.

Maybe if we had an os9 file system for linux so I didn't have to screw
around for 4+ hours carrying a 3.5"  drive back and forth, rebooting this
box to enable the floppy when I do since if I don't turn it off in the
bios, no boot, all this to move one 3k file by making it part of the disk
image, I might be able to make some progress.

I suppose my best bet is to see if I can find a printer that can work
with /p, but they've all been used up.  That would at least give me the
ability to hardcopy what I've got and where it is so mb could be edited
with some semblance of intelligence.  Anybody know where I can find a
ribbon for a dmp-120?  But I can't recall now if its seriel interface
works.  I still have that xerox 1650ro too, but no room to set that tank
up.  Its out in a storage shed in the back yard, buried behind enough
flooring to do a 300 sq foot room at the moment.  Which I need to get to,
one of the honeydoos thats keeping me from building a new carport.  I've
NDI if the one we have now will last another winter before it collapses
from dry rotted (and carpenter bee drilled) roof beams.

I finally found some 3.5" floppy drives that will work reliably with the
250kb data rates and DD diskettes, so I might eventually, need a round
tuit of course, be able to build a disk that has all this stuff collected
on it, build an all floppy boot that works and then sub the stuff it needs
for a hard disk installable boot that works.  Unforch, I've tried the
backup method from rsbasic to install such a boot to the hard drive, and
the hard drive still boots from the old boot file regardless of how many
times I run the basic proggy thats supposed to edit that.  Eventually my
frustration reaches the point of flipping the power switch and walking
away before I sledgehammer the whole thing.

Sorry this got so off-topic & turned into a rant.  My apologies.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)