[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: setting up Nitros9 device descriptor for SCSI drive

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 14 14:25:31 EDT 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 13:35, jlhickle wrote:
>Ah, and I was trying to have os9 start AFTER HDB-DOS.  I'll blame
>working late into the night for why it didn't occur to me that, if
>NitrOS-9 was at the end of the drive, the offset shouldn't be such a
>large number.
>
>I'm still not sure what to set the sectors per track at; the drive
>specs say "AVERAGE SECTORS PER TRACK = 107 rounded down".

The drive, I believe, expects an LSN as the address to seek to.  So it may
be possible to just arbitrarily assign a spt value thats in that range.

I'd choose a number thats easily divided for the trial, then set the size
at some multiple of that which is just short of 524280 sectors, which is a
full (65535 byte) FAT table*8.  That will allow 134,215,680 bytes of
storage without going to multiple sector cluster setups. 524280 sectors
divided by 102=5140 for the cyl value, and you have the full 134,215,680
bytes available.  Thats decimal of course.  In hard drive 1024=1k speak,
thats 131.070 megabytes.

The next (/s1) descriptor could than start a new partition at LSN=524281,
(cyl offset=5141) and repeat till out of drive or descriptors.

Theres probably a glaring error someplace above, but thats the general
idea.