[Coco] Re: Other languages for OS-9

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Wed Sep 13 17:13:08 EDT 2006

Dean Leiber wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2006, at 8:32 AM, Andrew wrote:
>

>> Has anybody ported either of these over to OS-9? Python sounds
>> perfect, provided the libraries and such it uses aren't overly huge...
>
> For some reason, I seem to think that Python may have been ported to
> OSK a very long time ago (obviously it would be a very old version of
> Python.) Or is my memory playing tricks on me again?
>
> Dean
>

> --Coco mailing list

Not sure about Python, but somebody from the EFFO emailed me a binary of
Perl for 68K probably 10 years ago.  It's a rather old version of Perl
obviously, and I never got the source.  I think the chances of getting
anything like Perl or Python running usefully on the CoCo are fairly
slim.  I've been doing a lot with Damn Small Linux recently, which uses
Lua for most of its scripting needs.  It's much lighter and supposedly
faster than Perl or Python, and does run nicely on machines as slow as a
Pentium-133.  Of course that in itself says nothing about its
suitability to the CoCo.

JCE