[Coco] Weird errors

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Wed Sep 13 04:22:15 EDT 2006

>From: Leon Howell <puritan_2076 at yahoo.com>
>Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:47:52 +0000 (UTC)
>
>Thanks for the help. I think I'll just use the old compatible commands, and
>see if I can find Reminder.lzh. I'm using Ar2, so it was probably archived
>using Ar 1.3

I played with that last night, and got reminder.ar to uncompress using
ar1.5  I didn't even know I had that version.  And yes, reminder.lzh
is the same thing.

I'll put ar1.5 on my webpage http://www.sdc.org/~goosey and let me
know if you need me to email it to you.

>Syscalls? Setstats? XMode and TMode? What idiot named this weird half
>complete language "basic" anyway?

Ah, you haven't seen nothin' yet.  Under CP/M I can show you some
true obscenities calling themselves "BASIC".

Besides, BASIC-09's complexities are just the result of running under
a real OS that provides real, complicated services to the user
programs.  Sure, they *could* have spent 20 or 30K of RAM hiding the
OS's power from the user, but would that have really been useful?

>And where can I get a copy of Burke & Burke RSB - The only version of Basic
>available for OS-9?

Try Brother Jeremey.  It's my understanding he inheritied B&B's
remaining stock.  Or maybe it was the Glenside club?  There was also
something called "RUSTY" which was supposed to be like RSB, but I
don't know where you can find that. (Rusty was last seen advertised by
Northern Xposure.)

If you really want to be useful, you could port ByWater BASIC to
OS-9.  I think the code can be compiled with a K&R compiler, so it
shouldn't actually be too hard.

>Oh well, enough complaining. No offence intended if you actualy
>*like* "basic"-09.

It does have its flaws, but as BASICs go it's pretty nice.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
   --- Yacko