[Coco] Broken Syntax (Was: Weird errors)

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Sep 12 15:33:18 EDT 2006

Another way to think about it is that hard coding the syntax of a
particular utility in a binary perhaps doesn't completely embody the
OS-9 toolbox philosophy.  Perhaps it's a forgivable expediency and may
improve performance somewhat over reading the syntax from a
configuration file.  But my opinion would be that if you need to mess
around with system utilities, you probably should be wrapping the binary
in a shell script, which is easily editable.  Hard coding such details
in the BASIC-09 program module seems a little ham-fisted to me.

As I think about it more, why is BASIC-09 (is it the runb module we're
talking about here?) calling tmode in the first place, instead of just
doing an appropriate setstat?  Why should it assume there is a tmode
utility available at all?  I wouldn't be too hard on Boisy here.  I
think BASIC-09 is at fault.

JCE