[Coco] [Color Computer] FYI: USB Modules & Add-Ons

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Tue Sep 5 20:55:42 EDT 2006

John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 14:38 -0400, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
>
>> There are other chips that have microcontrollers with embedded USB. Freescale,
>> Microchip and Cypress to name some.
>
> Part numbers (for usb host controllers that can be (easily) interfaced
> to coco's bus) please? :-)
>
> It would be interesting to compare to the Cypress part
>
> -- John.

I'd think a typical USB driver would consume more memory than a CoCo
has. What would you attach to a CoCo via USB?

I think the point of this discussion would be to build peripherals that
can be programmed via your PC via USB and be used on the CoCo.

For instance: How about a device that plugs into the cart port, that
looks (to the CoCo) like a floppy/hard drive controller, and (to the PC)
is a bunch of flash memory? You could dump your .dsk and rompack files
back and forth and never have to worry about a floppy drive again, but
retain 100% compatibility.

That's what my take on practicality of these USB chips is anyway.

-Mike