[Coco] [Color Computer] FYI: USB Modules & Add-Ons

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Sep 3 15:06:28 EDT 2006

On 2 Sep 2006 at 23:30, Gene Heskett wrote:

> And this is the major advantage over the FTDI devices shown on the same
> web page as it appears these might be usable with nothing more than chip
> select logic, and possibly a byte wide fifo for rx buffering.  The cheaper
> FTDI devices would also need an rs232 type uart, raising the
> implementation cost considerably.

The FT245B/R devices interface to a parallel 8 bit data buss. Same function as
the FT232. The FT245B is $6.33 in unit cost and the FT245R is $4.94 unit cost.
Like the Cypress SH811 device, someone has to write drivers for DEB/OS9 to
make them useable. From best I can tell the FT245 would be a better solution
than the Cypress chip due to errata and the lack of Cypress to correct some
issues in the chip design.

james