[Coco] [Color Computer] Create NitrOS9 L1 boot disk for Dragon with FD-502?

drag0n1969 chen.herzog at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 05:45:02 EDT 2006

I need help creating a NitrOS9 Level 1 boot disk for my unique
configuration: Tano Dragon with a Tandy FD-502 disk controller.

I have replaced the FD-502's EPROM with a special version of Dragon
SuperDOS, modified by Phill Harvey Smith to work with the Tandy
controller hardware. This works perfectly under basic.

Creating a NitrOS9 boot disk is a problem, since the Dragon Dos
expects the boot sector on track 0 (from sector 3), and not track 34
as on the CoCo (though both of them load the boot sector to same
memory address at $2600)

Am I correct that my boot disk should simply be a Dragon NitrOS9
boot disk with the modules BOOT and RB1773 from the CoCo (replacing
the dragon's BOOT and DDISK)?

I have tried using MESS to generate this bootdisk – with no success
whatsoever.

I also tried generating a CoCo bootdisk, replacing the VTIO and
COVDG – to get a proper Dragon keyboard. Didn't work either

I'm starting to think that the BOOT module contains info about both
the physical boot sector location, and the controller hardware: thus
if I use the Coco boot module it finds the hardware, but looks for
the boot module in sector 34 rather than sector 0.

If this is a correct, I guess the Coco boot module needs to be
patched to read sector 0?

I have also tried to "force" the dragon to boot a CoCo bootdisk,
using a small program on the Dragon to read sector 34 from the CoCo
boot disk, poke it into address 9728 ($2600)  onwards, and EXEC
9730. Doesn't seem to work either

I have been struggling with this for quite a while now, trying
numerous combinations. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: