[Coco] Re: Other languages for OS-9

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Wed Sep 13 11:32:23 EDT 2006

 > Bash is, at the moment:
 >
 > [amanda at coyote src]$ ls -l /bin/bash
 > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 593304 Mar 11  2004 /bin/bash
 >
 > So I think the 64k &  :)  grin is rather an understatement.
 >
 > OTOH, because it is so capable a language all by itself, I'm doing
 > things in a shell script that I would have used basic09 for on the
 > coco, or ARexx for on the amiga.

Gene,

I got curious on sizes after I saw your post on the size of bash, and I
decided to check the size of mine (bash, that is) - over 600k here. So,
then I checked Perl and Python - 10k and 3k respectively. I assume the
size difference is because of all the libraries and modules both
languages can pull in, thus the core is smaller?

Has anybody ported either of these over to OS-9? Python sounds perfect,
provided the libraries and such it uses aren't overly huge...

-- Andrew L. Ayers
    Glendale (Phoenix), Arizona