[Coco] NOS9 Boot_Burke

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 23 18:41:31 EDT 2006

Chester A Patterson wrote:
> How does one install the NOS9 Boot_Burke (ident returns BOOT) module
> into an NOS9Boot file?
> In the distant past (17+ years ago - jeepers! That's a long time!), when
> I made up B&B ST225, ST251 and ST4096 systems, I just used the B&B
> "modpatch l2bpatch" command on the BOOT module in RAM then cobbled up a
> new disk. But Boot is not a regular boot file module that I can just
> EZGen from a disk into another disk's OS9Boot file...
>
> Also, the B&B XT ROM allows installing two bootfiles (OS9Boot and
> AltBoot) on tracks 128 and 129 respectively of the HD. There's two Boot
> file patches in the B&B release disk (L2BPatch and AltL2BPatch), one for
> each boot file. I would like to have both boot files on my HD (ALTBoot
> for Multiview, once I figure out how to make it work with NOS9).  Will
> this be possible with NOS9? (Everything is possible with OS9! However it
> depends on one's expertise, and mine is quite lacking!)
>
> Last but not least, is it possible to run DeskMate3 in NOS9? From what I
> read, yes. But before I spend all kinds of time trying to make it work,
> you guys experience will save me a lot of time (and grief)
>
> Thankyou.
>
> /Chester in (rainy) Costa Rica

If you are using the NitrOS-9 distributions, creation of specialized
boot disks is easy. Look at the Bootlists and Scripts directories on
either the T40 disk#2 or T80 images. You will see examples of scripts
that can be modified to exclude/include components of both the kernel
track 34 and the os9boot file.

The distribution includes the B&B boot module and it would be easy to
add a custom hdisk.dr driver if needed.