[Coco] Dynamic RAM Q

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Oct 8 22:22:07 EDT 2006

Phil

You are correct in that the DRAM chips do latch row and colum address in on the falling
edge  of the RAS and CAS lines.  From the SAM data sheet it appears that the RAS and
CAS are derived from the 14MHz clock. The total period of both is 8 clock periods. Three
high and five low. The CAS is delayed by two clock cycles. When the MPU is in slow mode
this is fine. You get one RAS/CAS period in one half cycle of the E clock. When the MPU is
in fast mode that is different. That would casue so issues if both the MPU  and the VDG
were to want to acess ram at the same time. There maybe some other gating logic that is in
the 6847 that may help prevent this.

AS for the data that is presented on the Z buss there is a final stage multiplexer that is
controlled probably by the Eclock that switches the row and colum data between the MPU,
VDG and the refresh counter. Refresh is done during the horizontal sync period. Four row
addresses per line for 32 lines will refresh 128 rows in 2 mS. This will fit the bill for 4116
Drams. Actual row and column data is switched by another multiplexer that feeds the output
multiplexer. The internal switching is done by a stack of 8 bit multiplexer that multiplex the
row an dcolumn data for the upper and lower address from the MPU, the VDG and the row
address from the refresh counter. After that the rest of the SAM chip is fairly straight
forward.

What I would do is keep your  memory expansion configured in an array in which there is
128 rows by what ever columns needed. That way the current refresh counter in the SAM
chip will refresh all the ram. Use what ever extension on the column address to do
essentially bank switching. Then your external CPLD would need the CAS line to control the
expanded columns in teh memeory array. This would be okay for 128K or maybe up to
256K of ram. This would limit the dram that you can use though. Another solution is to
replace the 74LS783 with an 74LS785 that could be gotten out of one of the late model
Coco2s. Then you could use  4164 drams or even 41256 drams.

james