[Color Computer] [Coco] CoCo shots in Dutch newspaper video on retro-gami...

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Thu Oct 26 14:22:50 EDT 2006

In a message dated 10/26/06 1:26:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com writes:

Just so  you know, people have been doing that for some time now.
Since storing  games on cassette was the most common method on the
Sinclair Spectrum, I  think you'll find they do this a lot and their
cassette interface isn't  even as fast the Coco's is.

I cut my teeth on one of the first personal hobby computers, the  KIM-1.
It had a good but slow cassette interface.  One of the first things a  KIM
owner did was to punch in (in Hex binary)  a short program that  quadrupled the
cassette data rate.  That program was something you put up  front on every
cassette.

In fact, the Coco struck me as kind of unusual at the time, in that its
cassette interface didn't have a speed-up replacement program (it was too good
already).
However, there were lots of fixes to its inflexible and unforgiving  approach
to finding and loading files.  The ROM routines are great, but the  master
program that uses them in BASIC was not the greatest.
--Mike K.