[Color Computer] [Coco] CoCo shots in Dutch newspaper video on retro-gaming!

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 25 15:22:44 EDT 2006

> I did a number of tests (and several demos) way back when that showed
> that the Color Computer cassette interface was faster than the
> Commodore floppy drives.  This involved other folks' C-64s, as I
> wouldn't own one of the things on a bet.  (Even now).

The Coco cassette interface was 1500 baud and the 1541 speed was
supposedly almost 300 bytes/sec or ~2400 baud - the IEEE protocol
overhead making it around the speed of the coco cassette.
However, every time I tried that argument with a C64 owner they told
me they had a fast load cart or replaced the DOS ROM with a product
called JiffyDOS.  A lot of C64 games even had a fast loader right on
the disk.  Fast loaders managed around 4K/sec and made the DOS easier
to use.

I think it's safe to say that fastloaders were pretty standard issue
for C64 disk owners and it made the CBM drives much faster than the
Coco cassette interface.  It wasn't as fast as the Coco disk but I
think it's more of a 'my computer is better than yours' issue than
reality.  One surprising fact is that the most common FastLOAD cart
was from Epyx and it didn't support saving at high speed.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: