[Coco] Off List?

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Thu Nov 23 10:55:26 EST 2006

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:44:45 -0600, Gene Heskett
<gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 23 November 2006 10:22, Leonard wrote:
>> Wasn't there a Os-9 package for the Atari, or was it the amiga?  Where
>> would you get something like that today?  Is it even available, or
>> could Nitro Os-9 be made to run on these systems?
>>
> There was a package for the amiga, sold by a (Comp. Sci.?) Prof. named
> Digby Tarvan, an aussie. I saw his name on a linux mailing list a year or
> so back and asked if were the same, and he said he was and explained the
> outragious pricing. It's cost was mandated by per seat charges by
> MicroWare at the time, there was a considerable upfront cost to him of
> many thousands.  Obviously he never recovered his costs, and there was no
> support at all from MicroWare.  He wasn't bitter over it, but was what
> one could call considerably smarter about such deals now.  Since
> MicroWare is no more, and effectively os9 from them is no more, I have no
> idea if that code could now be forked and brought uptodate legally or
> not.  Or for that matter if there is even a copy of it in the states
> today.
>
> As for the atari, I didn't follow that scene so have no knowledge of an
> atari version.  TOS may have been better for that hardware but again I've
> not played with it.

There was an Atari port, and Kevin Darling was involved with it. It even
had the Windint style graphics in it... I remember him discussing it on
Compuserve. Can't remember who it was sold through, though... I don't
believe it was Microware. Might have been the same company that did the
Mac port.

--
L. Curtis Boyle