[Coco] [Color Computer] Nitros9 Boot file

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 23 08:24:26 EST 2006

On Thursday 23 November 2006 07:46, Boisy Pitre wrote:
>On Nov 23, 2006, at 6:27 AM, Mark Marlette wrote:
>> Jim,
>>
>> Good work. Raises a question....
>>
>> Boisy - Is the bootfile allowed to be fragmented. I know we talked
>> about it.????
>
>NitrOS-9 V3.2.6 allows for fragmented bootfiles on the disk, but it
>will load in memory as one contiguous blob.  There is no restriction
>about modules needing to start on a block or page boundary, but $8200
>seems to be the limit for reasons I'll have to research.  Good work Jim.

I answered before I read your reply, Boisy.  I wasn't aware there was
enough room in the boot module to actually do filesystem lookups in the
case of fragmentation of the file.  Nice touch.

This limit may have crept in un-noticed as I believe I have some working
floppy disks that have an $8300+ filesize to them from about 10 years
ago.  But my hardware has changed so they won't boot to anything usefull
now.