[Coco] FD501

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Tue Nov 21 16:21:41 EST 2006

From: Phill Harvey-Smith <afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk>
> Chester A Patterson wrote:
> > Tricky devils.

Well, Tandy started the practice with the first Mod One drives in 1978.  IBM was some time after that getting a PC with floppy drives to market.  At the time, most floppy drives were external, each with its own case and power supply.  It was easier to track things with the drives selected by the cable position rather than for a tech at the other end of a phone line to use clairvoyance to figure which drive was which.  That's why the terminated drive had a different stock number visible on the outside of the case.

When Tandy started most of their product lines, "standards" had not yet been established for many subsystems.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

When you let people do whatever they want, you get Woodstock. When you let governments do whatever they want, you get Auschwitz.       Doug Newman