[Coco] www on coco

Travis Poppe tlp at LiquidX.org
Sat Nov 4 01:26:21 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 10:20:12AM +1100, David Roper wrote:
> Ok, so lets put our reality hats on for a moment -
>
> What's stopping the coco from being linked in to an alread-established
> home network and actively using www and email?

As previously mentioned, you can use the coco as a terminal and connect
to a more powerful system, probably running some UNIX-like OS, and use
various text-based utilities to do all kinds of things on the Internet.
If you're looking at this from a "let's see what we can make the coco
do" perspective, it's not terribly impressive because the coco itself
isn't really doing any of the hard work. However, it is worth noting
that certain terminal software in and of itself is quite impressive,
particularly Sockmaster's Twilight Terminal.

On the other hand, if you'd just like to /use/ your coco to do these
things, such a solution is certainly appropriate for some. For the two
examples you listed above (www/email) as well many other things, I
already do this with my contemporary computers; that is, I use them as
terminals and connect to another system that does all of the real work.
While I won't go into details, this is convenient for a whole number of
reasons that have nothing to do with processing power constraints.
Consequently, I could probably do a lot of my usual work on a coco that
is running a fully functional terminal emulator, or any other such
system for that matter.

For what it's worth, I read and responded to this e-mail using a
text-based client that could probably be used efficiently on a coco. It
also happens to be my main and preferred mail agent (mutt).

Regards,
--
Travis Poppe
IRC: tlp @ irc.freenode.net