[Coco] Nitros9 Boot Disk "issues"

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Mon May 22 17:17:23 EDT 2006

Rumor has it that Boisy Pitre may have mentioned these words:
>Roger,
>
>I located a bug in the boot_1773 module that prevents it from booting
>properly from a single sided disk.  Ken Carlin was having the exact
>same problems as you and emailed me yesterday.  I eyeballed the
>source last night, and it turns out that a beq should be a bne, and
>because of this faux pas, the problem occurs.

If you can tell me what/where to modpatch, I'm sure I can get it figured
out on my own... (I used to do a bit'o'that back in the day before dmode
existed... ;-) )

>My thought at this point is to address this and any other issues and
>put out another release.  Really sorry about this guys;

Don't sweat it, man! ;-) I'm just glad that it wasn't me doing something
boneheaded - I do that enough as it is! ;-)

>So you guys take the heat by being unwitting testers,
>fighting these problems and trying to diagnose them.

That's part of the fun - but I would like to ask for a small "documentation
feature" of:

There's a lot of "magic" that happens whilst those dots cross the screen -
is there any way of telling which dot's what? That would make testing the
OS a lot easier to diagnose when something goes south...

>So besides the single-sided boot issue, are there any other
>outstanding issues with the 3.2.6 release that are known?

I have another issue, but it's with the 3.2.4 release that came with
DriveWire. If I can figure out how to setup a DW-bootable 3.2.6 release,
I'll test that too...

Whilst formatting a 'real' floppy on my CoCo3 booted to 3.2.4, at best, 1/2
way thru the format (usually less) the CoCo3 locks hard, and a brief
glimpse of the 3-Mugateers is the only way to recover. Everything else so
far seems to work fine that I could test...

I'll prolly tinker with that tonite & see if I can get something up &
running, and I'll let y'all know tomorrow how well (or if) I fared.

Thanks!
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
  _±±_                          zmerch at 30below.com
(©||®)  If at first you don't succeed, nuclear warhead
  _)(_   disarmament should *not* be your first career choice.