[Color Computer] [Coco] FYI - 6809 GCC

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 18:05:34 EDT 2006

>One caveat, my libc doesn't seem to work well when it comes to using
>printf, et al. Varargs seems to break, and I'm not sure why.
>Unfortunately I have no idea how to run gdb using MESS, so I can't
>really debug the problem. But there's no reason why someone else
>couldn't just write a replacement that doesn't assume the use of the
>stack to pass arguments, and that is all-around better for RSDOS in
>general. Might be possible to write it in C, without resorting to
>assembler.

The first thing to do is write a subroutine that uses varargs and look
at the assembly output from GCC to see what it's doing.

The code I've been working on assumes stack based parameters so this
doesn't exactly please me but it's not that big of a deal to fix if
there's a problem.

>>In fact, with some support in the linker, OS-9 software could be
>>written easily. Or a modification of the assembler to generate rlink-
>>compatible object files. I'm not conversant in OS-9, so I might just
>>be leading you guys astray.
>Regarding OS-9, What about Boisy's criticism regarding inability to
>create position-independent code?

If you have assembly output you can always run a program on that to
change it.  I figured it could actually be done with the GCC peephole
optimizer but without looking at that version of the compiler I can't
be sure.  Since it's just loads, stores and branches I don't think it
would be too difficult.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/CFFolB/TM