[Coco] Technical question re: video

Brian Blake random_rodder at yahoo.com
Sat May 13 15:22:50 EDT 2006

I'm currently collecting the parts I need to do a repack of a Coco (gonna practice with a Coco1 but final will be a Coco3) into a Model III/IV case. I'm looking to power the Coco, MPI, FD and HDD (after I get a SuperBoard when available) with a PC powersupply.

  While I lack a few things (like the case for starters) I began wonder about the best way to handle the video. I have a couple small color TV's that would suffice, but, I was looking for something more light weight. I have an older Compaq laptop, LTE 5100 Series 2880D, and the LCD screen looks like it would fit with little modification to the case.

  Now I'm not a hardware guru like some of you here on the list and that is why I'm writing this little note. The LCD uses a 30pin connector (I am tracking down the schematics for pinouts) for video and an 8 pin (using only 5) for power. What would be involved in using this LCD screen? Could a solution be simply using a video converter like Roy's and matching the ouputs of it to the LCD (of course after changing it's connector to an SVGA standard)? Or would there be more involved? Also, is there an issue of convertig analog to digital or vice versa involved? If someone could point me in the right direction (or tell me it's not a bright idea) on this I'd really appreciate it.

  Thanks,

  Brian