[Coco] FYI - 6809 GCC

James Jones jamesjones01 at mchsi.com
Wed May 10 03:24:57 EDT 2006

John Hogerhuis wrote:
> Glad someone finished this up... I'm sure James will be happy.
>
> Strange choice making 'int' be 8-bit instead of 16-bit. I can
> understand the reasoning that the word size of the 6809 is 8-bit, but
> the counterargument that a C int is commonly assumed to be at least
> 16-bits holds a lot more weight for me since more legacy code is
> likely to "just work" without changes.

Well... all K&R 1st edition guaranteed is that short int isn't longer
than int, and long int isn't shorter than int. ANSI/ISO C 1989
constrains the values in limits.h such that a standard conforming
compiler must have int at least 32 bits. C9X keeps that, and also
requires a long long int and unsigned long long int of at least 64 bits.

	James