[Color Computer] [Coco] Rainbow IDE and free CoCo drawing

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Mon May 8 22:24:18 EDT 2006

At 06:57 PM 5/8/2006, you wrote:

>I was using a free open source IDE but since my regular dev box is
>down I thought I'd give Rainbow IDE a shot.
>It looks pretty good and the ability to build disk images that easily
>is really nice.  There a few things that are holding me back from
>registering for the moment.
>
>1. Can I have it build multiple disk images from one build?  Several
>of the things I've worked on require multiple floppies and I need to
>be able to put same files on 1 disk and others on all disks.

Rainbow already builds however many virtual disks you want.  Just keep
adding their names in the left panel or click the + sign for automatic
naming (the quickest way).  Please note that M.E.S.S. can only mount (I
think) 4 disks at a time, but ideally I you'll probably want to create only 2.

>2. The width of the editing area isn't as wide as I like.

Try decreasing the editor font one size for now, or make sure you're using
the 1024x768 video mode.  I'll think of ways to allow the panels to be
moved/docked/resized/hidden soon.

>3. I prefer to use some of the 6800 instructions such as DEX
>(translates to LEAX  -1,X) and your code highlighting does not support
>this.  I just find it a little easier to read that way.

Code highlighting is for the CCASM assembler for now but I'm working to let
each assembler have it's own color coding.  I'd say by version 1.6 this
will be added.

>4. I'm not sure what integration it will offer with C compilers.

What kind of integration with C compilers would you expect?

>5. The installer you used says you are using an unregistered copy.  If
>you don't register... why should we?

It's called the Food Chain.  I would like to be able to afford to register
it.  By registering Rainbow, you help me pay for my tools as well.  Also,
I'm not 100% sure I want to keep using that install wizard until I try it
longer.  You have the same priveledge with my software.  I don't twist arms.

Thanks, and enjoy.

--
Roger Taylor