Nitros9 for the masses (was) Re: [Coco] COCO4 Emulator

John Hogerhuis jhoger at gmail.com
Sun May 7 16:54:57 EDT 2006

Actually a native OS-9 re-written from the ground up might be a niche,
commercially viable product, allowing portability for existing OS-9
apps to new hardware. I guess os9exec on sourceforge is about that.

I doubt any of the NitrOS-9 code could be used for that without
attracting some unwanted attention from the OS-9 copyright holders.
AFAIK it was not a clean-room re-implementation.

That said I don't see the point. Such a version of OS-9 would be
native X86. None of the old software would run without a recompile.
OS-9 is an embedded OS with Unix in-mind. On other than embedded
systems you might as well run a Unix clone like Linux or a *BSD. At
least you can still get the "hobbyist" feel from some distros.

-- John.