[Coco] COCO4 Emulator

James Hrubik jimhrubik at earthlink.net
Fri May 5 22:05:28 EDT 2006

So what is the point of emulation?  It has to run on a PC  or Mac.
At this point, both are Intel based.  If you skip the emu part, the
64K (maybe now 64G) question is -- can Nitros9 be ported to run from
boot off an Intel machine?  If so, you have your CoCo 4, 5, 6, ad
infinitum.  Yes, you would then be in direct competition for fans
with Linux, but it would be one more OS option for modern computer
users to play with, write apps for, experiment with.  I think that if
released under GPL, there would suddenly be thousands of programmers
looking at it, many who never heard of the CoCo.  Imagine the next
CoCoFest.  It would be like the resurrection of the CoCo... but on a
different chipset.  And I'll bet it would run blitzin' fast, too.
Imagine an OS designed for economy of address space, running on a
dual core machine.  Think of all the timing loops you'd have to use
to run old CoCo software---

[falls off barstool. laughing]