[Coco] Forth & Coco Information

Dean Leiber adit at 1stconnect.com
Thu May 4 16:45:29 EDT 2006

On May 3, 2006, at 12:20 AM, Brett K Heath wrote:

> On Tue, 2 May 2006, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
>
>> Coco service and tech refs are available at
>
>> http://www.trs-80.com in the documentation->manuals->color computer
>> section. unfortunately because of the way the site is written I
>> cannot
>> provide a direct link. Also, for anyone visiting Ira's site, don't go
>> crazy downloading everything, it costs him money. I would also
>> suggest
>> donating to support the archive, it's a great resource.

Copies of the Coco service manuals are available on the
maltedmedia.com ftp site as well. There should also be a Forth09
manual (Forth for OS9) in the MANUALS/DP_JOHNSON/Forth09 directory.
There was also a Forth  (CF83) which was sold for a while (I have a
few modules IF the disks are good; I don't believe they were standard
RSDOS or OS9 disks) The manuals were scanned but were of such poor
quality (Multiple generation Xeroxes of Dot Matrix printouts) that I
never did anything with them. A Product list showing CF83 is
available in PRODUCTS/BDS and shows what kind of modules were available.

Also, for everyone's FYI, It should be noted that there are a lot of
Coco Manuals/Magazines/Newsletters up on the Maltedmedia ftp site.
They are part of the CoCo/OS9 Archival project and the files can be
found in the coco and coco-additional directories.  The layout of the
coco-additional directories are odd because it was a 'delta' release
meant to be combined into the main coco files area. However that
never happened so you'll have to just poke around (at least its
broken into topic areas).  The last official release (2.0) of the
archive, was I believe, in Sept 2005.  If you look at Ira's site
(TRS-80.com), you should also find a lot of Coco/OS9/OSK stuff since
he was kind enough to post a release of the CoCo/OS9 archive (2.0 I
think) to his site (just reorganized to fit into his website org
structure.)

One problem with the Coco/OS9 Archival project has been finding
somewhere to host the thing  in its entirety. As it stands, the 2.0
release it around 3.5GB (many manuals include the entire manual in
one PDF and also broken into chapters to make downloading easier). I
have also gotten a copy of the TRS-80.com files and have been sorting
them for CoCo related stuff.  This would probably add another 6 GB to
the archive (if you add computer magazines which may have had just a
coco related article or two).  Any ideas where I could host this
thing without going broke in the process?  I don't want to be in the
CD/DVD distribution business,  since I have no interest in making $
off of this and  there is also the whole copyright broo-ha-ha.

Also, on a side note. Before anyone goes to scan any books, etc.
please check the archive first. There is no need to duplicate the
effort;find something that isn't scanned yet and do that one :-)