[Coco] CoCo Fest video and chat

Nickolas Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Thu May 4 07:28:07 EDT 2006

It's great to see the discussion moving in a positive direction rather
than negative. Negative topics not only make current members lose
interest but also deters any "newbies" who may wander in to see what
we're about.

Going back to my suggestion of starting Fest preparations early....

Early preparations mean that in the last 2-3 months leading up to the
fest, enough will be established to give potential attendees a good idea
of what to expect if they attend. Note the term POTENTIAL
ATTENDEES...this is important because everyone should be seen as a
potential attendee. The real job is to convert this "potential" into
"definite" attendees.

One cannot expect people who have been reluctant to attend in the past
to decide to incur the expense and travel time to a function that
doesn't offer them anything substantial in return.

For some, just meeting people they "speak" to on the list warrants the
effort. Others may not, especially if they get the impression that there
is a lot of infighting between members on this list.

The fest needs to offer more.....seminars, formal discussions,
activities, demonstrations, special guests etc.

"But we have these!", you say. If so, then why isn't this clearly
advertised for potential attendees to know?

If the organizers were to commit to a plan of starting preparations
early, then someone can be assigned to create and maintain a website
detailing the development of the fest.

When the fest is 2 months away, this would be a websitet that clearly
and proffesionally informs anyone browsing the page, not only the what,
when and where of the fest but also details the various seminars, formal
discussions, activities, demonstrations, special guests etc that will be
present.

Convince several of the large news based websites to write a story (and
add a link) about the event and I'm sure that you will get current, past
and even non CoCo users attend...especially people who live within the
region.

As they say, nothing to lose...plenty to gain.

Nickolas Marentes