[Coco] CoCo Fest video and chat

Brian Blake random_rodder at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 17:20:31 EDT 2006

One thing would be to get info out on what the Fest and the Coco in general can still do for people. Most people (myself included) look at a Coco and a PC side by side and sometimes wonder what the fascination with the Coco is. For me, right now, it is mostly nostalgia since it was my first computer.

I know I would like to get into some projects in the future but those are time and money permitting. One of mine is a repack of my Coco3 into a Model 3/4 case, still need to find a case, with an MPI, floppies and an IDE or SCSI hard disk, all powered with a PC power supply. Cramming it all in the M3/4 case should be fun...

Ideas is another area. Not being a hardware guru with the Coco, just coming up with ideas of what to do with it is like beating a dead horse. I see all kinds of things on other websites (repacks, DC powered Coco, video convertors, etc...), but, have no earthly idea how to get from point A to B. I know, much of this knowledge comes from other backgrounds and education so maybe this isn't a good example...

Roger's IDE's are wonderful tools. Someday I'd like to put them to use doing something worthwhile. However, studying, work, my three kids, house repairs, yardwork, etc... all take up my time and money.

Basically, what some of us newer old folks just arriving back on the scene need is an education of what the old girl can still do. Without some type of info on that, people are gonna just say "wow, I remember that!!!" and go about their merry way. I guess another way to put the question is "how can the group go about drumming up interest in a 25 year old computer not only for people who are already here but others who might pop in to say hi, like I did."

Sorry, I doubt this is much help, this is just what came to mind after 12 hours at work...

Brian

Nickolas Marentes <nickma at optusnet.com.au> wrote:Nick Replies:

I am thinking more along the lines of how do we get more of the
remaining/existing CoCo users to attend.

What if we imagine that the CoCoFest is a shop front and we want to
attract more customers into our store. What would we do?

First thing that comes to my mind is to offer product that people are
interested in. We must also bare in mind that not everyone is a diehard
CoCo user. I suspect many are/would be interested in the CoCo for
nostalgia reasons. And as for ex-CoCo users who haven't even seen or
heard of a CoCo for over 10 years, what can we offer to get their interest?

- What does that current CoCoFest offer to attract people to attend?

- Does the CoCofest offer enough to satisfy the desire for nostalgia?

- What age group is the CoCofest targeting in its current format?

- Is news and details of the CoCofest getting out to enough people?

- Should we expand the fest to include TRS-80 Model 1/3 and MC-10?

That last line would mean that the Fest is no longer a *CoCo*fest but
rather, a Classic Tandy Computers Fest. Maybe in that format, we may get
some support from Radio Shack?  (a VERY long shot I know!)   :)

I think the location of Chicago is good. Central to the US and close to
Canada. It has a major airport. Glenside seem to have the hotel pinned
down quite well also so I don't think there is anything that can really
be improved here unless there is an army of CoCo users in cold storage
in the LA area.   :)

Nick Marentes