[Coco] CoCo Fest video and chat

Rod Barnhart rod.barnhart at gmail.com
Tue May 2 08:13:27 EDT 2006

On 5/1/06, Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Mark Marlette wrote:
>
> > There are an endless number of excuses on why one could not make it.
> >  Some indicate money, schedule conflicts, etc. All valid at some
> > point in time but after 25yrs, people that have never attend a fest,
> > that means it is not a priority.
>
> This is not a flame, but simply MHO.
>
> I must admit to being somewhat bemused to read your 'rant'. I suspect it
> is borne out of frustration and no doubt compounded by the fact that
> you're a vendor. I also admit that I have no idea what your involvement
> (if any) was in the organisation of the event.
>
> But this is how it read to me...
>
> "How dare you not attend! How dare you not be interested enough to
> re-arrange your life and finances around attending! If you are reading
> this newsgroup, then you are *obliged* to make it a priority!!!"
>
> Obviously that is not your intention, but that is how it came across to
> *me*.
>
> /coco

Very well put. It came across that way to me as well. The fact of the matter
is, some of us have other priorities. Period. No amount of ranting is going
to change that. Let me say that again. The fest is simply not a priority for
me. I have other things more important in my life, and it is no one's place
to judge me because of it. I just don't quite share Mark's passion for it.
If I did, I unfortunately would probably still wouldn't be able to attend.
Not without the raise that was promised when I was hired (tip: when hired at
one rate with a promised raise after six months, get the promise in writing,
even if you know the guy making the promises) and a *lot* of convincing to
my wife. She was married before to a total computer addict. Now, I am much
more of an addict than he could ever hope to be, but I promised that I would
not let it ruin us like it had them. I've avoided letting computers control
my life for the past eight years, and I'm not about to let them take over
now. I fear that the fest would be like crack to a drug addict. It wouldn't
be pretty ;)

--
Rod Barnhart aka Wintermute (http://www.nitemarecafe.com)

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency
may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do
this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor
protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President.