[Coco] CoCo Fest video and chat

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Mon May 1 17:05:10 EDT 2006

I'm going to leave the original email intact and encourage all to read
it again. A while ago I posted a question to the list asking what the
people here actually did with their Cocos. Did they actually use the
hardware or did they mostly use emulators. I was disappointed by the
number of responses.

Before going on any further maybe I should answer the question I asked.
These days I like to putter around on the actual hardware. ( I did get
an emulator machine saturday so that may change a little. :-)) Mostly
I write "toy" programs in basic and assembly as a way to remind myself
of the "good old days" when a person could actually understand how their
computer worked. :-)

I got my first Coco back in the late '80s. It was a Coco-3 that I got at
a Coco-fest. As memory serves I got it there because Radio Shack was selling
them at a reduced price at the show. I also got a tape recorder and service
manual for it. I remember after getting the service manual that I may have
been better off getting the source listing of the ROMS. (these days I'm glad
I got the service manual!) Not to much later I got the assembler rom and
learned 6809 assembly. Having recently graduated with a bsee it didn't take
to long before I unsoldered the expansion port socket and wired in some
ribbon cable that connected to a board with the original socket and a connector
that had "prototype" boards available for. After showing coworkers and the
owner of the company I worked for some of what I was doing with it. A coco
was ordered by the company and I made the same modifications to it. The
company was involved in industrial process control and while I worked for the
engineering side there was a repair department that did component level
repair of equipment. Before long I had programmed the little coco to test
components (ram,rom,asics,etc) reprogram eproms and about anything else they
asked for. During that time I removed the ribbon cable from my coco and
reinstalled the expansion port connector.

After a few years the owners of the mom and pop company sold and the new owners
were only interested in the repair department so I moved on. The next company
I landed at was heavily involved in embedded machine control using the 68hc11.
I spent seven years designing hardware for it and often time writing the software
in assembly. I was surprised at how familiar the assembly instructions were and
picked up on it quickly. By this time I was using PCs and my coco was packed up
and moved into the back of a closet. Although I wanted to a few times I could never
bring myself to throw it away.

Last year I was going through the closet and came across the coco that I had by then
all forgotten about. I had fuzzy memories about being able to use disk drives with it
as well as other hardware. A google search later landed me at coco3.com and it didn't
take long for me to discover that there were still coco fests going on!! The best part
was that there was one scheduled for the upcoming weekend!! (I normally find out about
these kinds of things a week after they've happened :-( ) Of course I went and although
the turnout was much smaller then during the heyday of the coco I was pleasantly
surprised by how many people were there.

I bring all that up because I think that there are a lot of people that would be interested
in going to the fest if they knew they were still going on. I know that RS sold many
thousands of cocos in the midwest and would be willing to bet that like me a lot of them
would consider going if they knew about the fest. It would be nice if Radio Shack would
help in getting the word out again. It also would have been nice if you (Mark) would
have sent out this email a month or so ago in an attempt to implore more people to go.

I do agree that it's nice to see hardware and software being sold at this years fest that
didn't even exist last year!! I hope that the volume of sales of those products encourages
others to create new products for the Coco for next years fest.

It is good to hear that Cloud-9 will at least resume software sales again
in the near term. I hope that we'll be seeing a superboard for sale soon. :-)
One thing I would ask that you do is post an update on the superboard on
this list every few months with a status update for those of us that are
waiting impatiently for it to be released!! Even a sentence or two every
3 months would be nice. I think I speak for all of the customers of cloud-9
when I say that I don't expect you to put your life on hold getting it out
and I certainly don't want you to put your health at risk getting it done.

It would just be nice to hear about the progress of the board.

Frank