[Color Computer] [Coco] PCCTS

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 12:16:03 EDT 2006

>>From: Boisy Pitre <boisy at boisypitre.com>
>>Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 16:22:54 -0500
>
>>One of the fun classes for me this semester was Compiler
>>Construction.
>
>Congratulations!  Writing a compiler is interesting, but is a *big*
>fscking project.  When I took Compilers the language we wrote a
>compiler for was a Python subset, using lex and yacc.

We used lex/yacc and we had to compile Pascal.  There was another tool
you could use if you got down on your hands and knees and worshiped
the professor but I can't remember what it was.  Fun was not a part of
that class as the proff was a jerk.  Same guy that made us rewrite
half the Unix commands from scratch when I took C.  (there was no C++
class)

I can see where it could have been a really fun class though.  Glad
you enjoyed it Boisy!  Definately a class you don't want to take if
you are signing up for over 18 credits or have a job.  Completing a
compiler in a semester or quarter is a significant accomplishment.

>>The semester project for that class consisted of creating a compiler
>>for an ADA-type language using a toolset known as PCCTS.  With my
>>project completed and graded, I want to share this work with anyone
>>who is interested.
>
>I don't know this PCCTS thing.  Will it run under Linux?

PCCTS looks interesting.
GCC (at least the 4.x versions) builds and optimizes intermediate code
in a similar (same?) manner.  It makes targeting different CPUs a lot
easier.  Just implement the code generator calls and add rules to the
peephole optimizer.  I've learned quite a bit about modern compiler
consruction just from what I've done so far but I don't think I'd want
to write a compiler from scratch ever again.

>>The tie-in to the CoCo is that, besides the compiler, I wrote a
>>back-end for the 6809 that translates the compiler's i-code into 6809
>>assembly that is readily assembled by rma and linked with rlink.

I'd certainly be interested in taking a look at it since I've never
used rma and rlink.

I hope the finals went well for you Boisy.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/CFFolB/TM