[Coco] Canadians and the 'Fest

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Wed May 3 14:18:42 EDT 2006

I thought I should clear up some confusion that showed up in the
"CoCo Fest video and chat" thread since I happen to be the individual
from Canada that was mentioned.

It's actually about two and a half days hard driving to get from Calgary
to Elgin. I didn't take quite a direct route due to where I decided to
stop over so it took a bit longer. That's assuming good road conditions
all the way and stopping over two nights.

The twelve hour drive I had on Sunday was actually to Thunder Bay as I
was going to visit my grandfather who happens to have suffered a few
health complications since his 90th birthday. He seems to be improving
now, but it's going to be a long path to recovery. My father was also
there and he hitched a ride home with me so we were able to drive all
night last night and made the trip from Thunder Bay to Calgary in 24
hours straight. Had I decided to come straight home instead of visiting
my grandfather, I would have stayed for the whole day on Sunday and left
on Monday, arriving home some time this afternoon.

Glen mentioned he was about three hours north of Calgary. I would guess
that puts you in or around the Edmonton area? It may be possible to
arrange something next year. We should look into it further once
scheduling crystalizes.

Anyway, for those familiar with the geography, my route to Elgin
involved overnighting in Brandon, Manitoba and Sioux Falls, South
Dakota. Note that that is not quite the shortest route. There was no
sightseeing involved in the trip unless you count unintentional wrong turns.

Oh, and for the record, crossing the border at a land crossing is
currently no trouble at all - just don't say anything inconsistent.
Having a passport helps but is currently not required. (That's assuming
no criminal record, never having been refused entry to the US, and so
on.) There is some talk about requiring some sort of ID card to cross
the border to the US by land but I'm hazy on the details at the moment.
Also, at the moment, it is a lot easier to cross by land than by air.

--
William Astle
finger lost at l-w.ca for further information

Geek Code V3.12: GCS/M/S d- s+:+ !a C++ UL++++$ P++ L+++ !E W++ !N w---
!D !M PS PE V-- Y+ PGP t+@ 5++ X !R tv+@ b+++@ !DI D? G e++ h+ y?