[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Opinion time

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Mar 31 23:38:47 EST 2006

On Friday 31 March 2006 23:19, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/31/06 11:13:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>gene.heskett at verizon.net writes:
>
>But no  one has made an RGB input, NTSC std scan rates monitor in at
>least a  decade now, not even the $7000 a copy broadcast  stuff.
>

>Say Gene, what do TV stations use (at least pre-digital), if not RGB
> NTSC monitors?  Or do all their rack-mounts have composite inputs
> only?

Rack mount seems to be going extinct these days, and everything we have
today, to watch ntsc on, is a composite input thru the ubitiquous bnc
connector.

>There should be lots of these coming onto the used market, if they
> aren't all worn out or burned in.

Not too many tube types left here Mike, mostly lcd stuff as the tubes
fade away into the sunset.  Even in computer monitors there at the
station I think lcd's handily outnumber the tube stuff.  But here on
this linux box, my old 17" NEC 5FG finally turned up its toes over on
the firewall box, so that was good excuse to move the one on this box
over there, and go get a 19" incher for this box, tube of course, and
flat too, half the price ($150 at Office Max, StarLogic brand if that
means anything, chinese of course) and a much finer dot pitch, I run at
1600x1200x32 bit and have for years.  I'm still burning the phenolic
stink out of it & its 3 months old already.

We have 4 tube monitors still alive on the hill, 2 B&W 9" rack mounts,
and a 12 year old 13" hitachi thats on its last legs with one in the
hole, and an 8 or 9 year old 20" panasonic thats slightly better.  I
think you saw both of them when they were newer.  But the pans gamma
tracking isn't adjustable to compensate for the tube ageing, so we
occasionaly make disparaging remarks about that shade of such and such
a color.

I guess the chinese are the only ones still blowing glass for crt's of
any kind, and doing a pretty fair job from the looks of this one in
front of me.  Its about 1/4" short of having enough horizontal scan
power at this resolution, so I'm actually looking at an 18" picture :)

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: