[Coco] Linux<->Windows Ethernet connection

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Mon Mar 27 13:54:21 EST 2006

At 03:14 AM 3/27/2006, you wrote:

>Until you get the networking setup nothing network based like smb is going to
>work. Alas although I use Redhat versions of Linux They've made network
>configuration
>a bit of a pain when compared to Solaris. :-( The best way to start is with
>their ever changing gui. Look in the predefined menus under system or system
>setup, etc for a tool called "network" or something like it. What you're
>looking
>for is a tool that will let you set the IP address, netmask, etc. You'll want
>to do the same for windows. (with a different IP address of course) When you
>get the network configuration on both servers setup make sure that you can
>ping the linux machine from windows and the windows machine from linux.

Ok, in my Network Configuration dialog I see tabs for Devices, Hardware,
DNS, and Hosts.  Under Devices, it lists one entry "Inactive - eth0 - eth0
- Ethernet".  Under Hardware it lists one entry "DEC 21*40 and clones",
Ethernet, eth0".  Under DNS I chose "laptop" for my Hostname, and it shows
192.168.0.1 for the primary DNS.  Under the Hosts tab it has one entry
"127.0.0.1, localhost.localdomain, localhost".

When I try to activate my device, it waits a minute and always fails,
"activating network device eth0, please wait..." with the error msg "cannot
activate network device eth0... failed.", and "Determining IP information
for eth0... failed."

What gives?  Is my 100/10 card not compatible?  It's the common one sold at
Wally-World and it works great between two of my XP machines.

Samba is installed and I used "/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start" to get it
running which reported [OK].

--
Roger Taylor