[Coco] Linux<->Windows Ethernet connection

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Sun Mar 26 12:50:47 EST 2006

Roger Taylor wrote:

> Does anybody know of a good way to network Red Hat Linux 9.0 with
> Windows XP SP2 over a cross-over Ethernet connection?
>
> My Linux box is actually a dual-boot system with Windows XP.  I have a
> FAT32 drive setup just for swapping files between the two OSes.  If I
> can share this drive using some common network protocol that both OSes
> include then I suppose this would work.
>
> All of this pertains to CoCo development and web site scripts for
> CoCo3.com.  I don;t use Linux for all of my work but mainly, for now,
> just use it for compiling HLA software and then I move those Linux
> binaries back over to Windows where I upload them to my remote
> Linux-based web servers for running.  Until HLA gains the feature to
> compile Linux binaries from Windows (it will eventually), I have to work
> this way if I am to write software/scripts for Linux systems.
>
> I need to be able to stay working on both Linux and my XP laptop at the
> same time and access the Linux files from Windows at any time.

Roger,

Not sure why you'd want to go with RH9, it's ancient, there's been 5
Fedora Core releases since then. I'd highly recommend ditching RH9 and
going with anything modern, as a lot has changed since the RH9 era.
(mostly for the better)

In terms of networking two machines together, its relatively
straightforward. If you only ever plan on having two machines the
crossover cable is fine, but if you go with a small switch you can add
other systems to the mix as well.

Essentially you'll have to give each system a static IP address, and run
Samba on the Linux box to share files between the two. It's not terribly
difficult once you've done it a hundred times!

-Mike