[Coco] Player 'pianos' (Was: DMP-106 Printer sighted)

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Wed Mar 15 16:19:17 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/15/06 2:23:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
neilsmorr at hotpop.com writes:

>After seeing a collection of players in the UK I had a delusion of  building
>a player roll cutter driven by computer which could be  quickly programmed
>for any player. It'd be a hoot to hear some modern  pop tunes on one of
>these!

Some hobbyists have built MIDI-driven roll punching machines, using stepper
motors and cables from vintage printers and plotters.  If I had one, I  might
get more rolls punched, but I suspect any such setup would quickly sense
whenever you left the room, and act up accordingly!  Better to let printers  do
printing and people do the punching.

Actually, I just gave a short concert using my built-in MIDI interface,
which I built from scratch into my monkey organ, and I drive it from a Palm  Pilot
which stores my tunes.  Saves a lot of punching!  --Mike  K.