[Coco] Model III bus pinout

Bill Gunshannon billg000 at cs.uofs.edu
Tue Mar 7 10:25:19 EST 2006

>>From: Ward Griffiths <wdg3rd at comcast.net>
>>Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:50:11 -0500
>>
>>A customer of mine found that out the hard way when he plugged a Radio
>> Shack
>>Daisy Wheel Printer II into the DB-25 video port of an AT&T 6300 (which
>>supplied something like 70 vdc to power the monitor).  Neither device
>> worked
>>quite right afterwards.  Only reliable way ever discovered to destroy a
>>DWP-II.
>
> A DB-25 video port?  Ick, you KNOW that's going to cause problems
> exactly like you just described.

CGA was always a DB9.  But it was the opposite gender as the RS-232
so you had to go out of your way to hoOk them up wrong.  It was really
no different than using a DB25 for Centronics.  Centronics is TTL, 5V.
RS232 is +25V to -25V.  A bit more than TTL.

> Some of those old printers were real tanks, weren't they?  Fast like a
> tank.  Heavy like a tank.  Noisy like a tank. ;-)

I still have my Okidata.  And enough spare parts (including headds)
to keep it going till long after you can no longer find a machine to
hook it up to.

bill

bill at cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |