[Coco] NoICE debugging for the Coco

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Sun Mar 5 10:30:32 EST 2006

On Mar 5, 2006, at 8:12 AM, Roger Taylor wrote:

> I agree with you.  I had a comment but I've been busy and also
> waiting to see who else would bite.  I think given a few more days
> and a few more replies :) this topic may fire up.  So let me help...
>
> I spoke with Boisy about his X-Bug protocol and he mentioned that
> it would be abondoned or put on hold since there was already a
> duplicated effort that's tried and true and freely available (I
> think).  I downloaded that tool but I haven't had a chance to look
> at it yet.
>
> Just think, if your assembler or IDE can automatically insert NoICE
> debug stops and other protocol functions in the code for testing
> purposes, this could help a lot in debugging your CoCo programs as
> they run.  Using your PC, a special serial cable, and the remote
> monitoring software, a lot could be done... not just debugging but
> using the protocol's memory transfer commands, you could even
> direct the CoCo to receive raw programs to run, etc.  I think the
> NitrOS-9 ROM Kit would be a nice system to include the NoICE protocol.

Actually Roger, the serial cable isn't special.  It's just a simple
NULL modem cable with one end attached to the RS-232 Pak and the
other end attached to the PC.  That is it.

And you're right.  With the NoICE protocol you can read and write all
memory on the target.  So you could extend your IDE to easily
accommodate this feature.  I think Portal 9 could integrate NoICE
functions rather easily while giving users a quick and easy way to
debug their programs LIVE.  It is quite empowering to see the memory
of your computer show up in NoICE and be able to easily change that
information.

The other beauty of NoICE is that another device besides the RS-232
Pak can be used.  The bitbanger port could easily be used as well,
ala DriveWire; this would require no RS-232 Pak at all.

Boisy