[Coco] Y2k bug

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Mar 4 23:02:48 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/4/06 10:29:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
brucecalkins at bellsouth.net writes:

>The  biggest problem I had with the ST-225 drives was the lack of a auto
park
>on powerdown.  The heads would usually come to rest on the  directory track
>and ANY movement would crash the drive.  The  majority of MFM and RLL drives
>made after them did auto park on power  down and were much more reliable.

I think I always remembered to type PARK /H0 before shutting down my Coco
system.  At least, I never had any real trouble with my two ST-225s and  B&B
interface (one drive serves as backup and de-fragger for the  other).

I *have* had one drive refuse to spin up, once or twice.  As Gene (I  think
it was Gene) suggested, a horizontal whack of the fist on a corner torques  it
loose.

BTW, it gets harder and harder for me to remember that all you do to
shutdown an OS9 system (Coco, MM/1) is to flip the switch!  Not recommended  with
Doze or *IX.
--Mike K.