[Coco] Re: CoCo video? (CoCo4)

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Mar 4 21:45:49 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/4/06 9:53:08 AM Eastern Standard Time, farna at att.net
writes:

>Some  easy to program data I/O ports and a half dozen relays on a card would
be  >really nice.

Gee, I just remembered -- you can use a soundcard's MIDI serial interface
(32K b/s) to control external relays and such, and to read contact closures (and
 hence any static digital outputs, like an A/D converter hooked to a
thermistor,  etc.).

There are small circuit cards sold that use MIDI signals to open and close
multiple circuits.  These are intended for running pipe organs and such  from a
PC (I built one into my monkey crank organ).  Likewise there are  keyboard
scanner cards for going in the reverser direction.

This may be the easiest way for a hobbyist to get ina and out of a modern
PC.  Software is still a problem -- the only programs that know how to  access
the MIDI port are music recording and playing apps, which probably don't  know
right ascension from declination for scope hackers.
--Mike K.