[Coco] CoCo programming

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 4 17:19:17 EST 2006

doctorx0079 wrote:
> Hi all, I am just getting into CoCo programming again, as a lark and a
> hobby. My main goal at this point is to make a simple version of Tetris for
> a CoCo 2 in a week, or as fast as I can. I have the original books that came
> with it and some experience with (Intel) assembly language programming.
Go for it! You will find that assembly language on the 6809 is different
enough from Intel code that "as fast as" will most likely far exceed the
allotted week.

  My
> main questions are:
>
> What's the best way to get files into my CoCo?
This sounds like you left out, "from my real PC." There are several ways to
get files from a PC to a Coco. None are foolproof and all require owning
some compatible hardware. 1) via disk - requires a floppy drive on the PC
which matches a drive on the Coco. Requires a DOS level OS in most cases to
write/read Coco disks; whether Disk Basic or OS-9.

How can I get a floppy drive
> and disks for it?
Ebay (some risk) or Coco support companies such as Cloud-9
www.cloud9tech.com

> Is it better to write my program in an emulator and then transfer it over,
> or try to do it on the CoCo itself? I'm thinking the former.
Makes little difference, if you have a good editor/assembler/debugger for
the Coco. The biggest problem with writing code on a Coco2 is the
limitation of a 32 column screen and a line editor. Working on a Coco3
would permit use of an 80 column screen if you have a suitable monitor for
the Coco.

> How hard is it to get CoCo joysticks these days?
??? Probably a question of luck and sale of used equipment.

> Do I really need EDTASM? Should I get the EDTASM+ cartridge or Disk EDTASM??
  No, but it is a good package as it includes a debugger. The cartridge
uses tape for storage so should be used as a last resort. If used, patching
with the Roger Schrag disk conversion software is almost mandatory.
  The disk program can be patched for 6309 opcodes (if the CPU has been
switched), and many other enhancements if using a Coco3.

> Are there any other books I really need?
You betcha!! If your only experience with assembly language programming is
with a different CPU and Intel type rather than Motorola, you will be lost
without at least one good reference book for the 6809.
  This will be a matter of availability at libraries in most cases as 6809
books are not likely to be found in book stores. I would suggest some if I
thought you would have a choice but if your source will be a library, grab
anything 6809 related you can find.

> Anybody done anything like this lately??
Yes, although maybe "lately" is not right. Do a Google search for Coco and
Color Computer and browse through sites supporting the Coco to see some
really good programming. One place to start for links is www.coco3.com or
you could try http://m.webring.com/go?ring=coco&id=11&random