[Coco] Tandy Hard Disk Controller

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Sat Mar 4 08:58:18 EST 2006

As I recall the Disto controllers were SASI/SCSI compatible. I had one with a 4-n-1 board. Most people used them with SCSI drives because later in the 80s small SCSI drives were the most available, and the older SASI drives were big clunkers. I seem to recall that you had to make a special cable to connect a SASI drive, but that was all. Not sure if there were different drivers (I don't think so) or any software parameters had to be changed -- other than the physical drive specs.

I did some checking on the web -- SASI (Schugart Associates System Interface) later became SCSI. It was just a host interface, not a controller. It could be connected to several different controllers, usually housed in the drive enclosure. The Tandy CoCo controller could indeed have been a SASI interface. Any controller with a SASI interface could then have been used, not just Shugart. For a pic of one of the controllers, and a schematic of a SASI interface for a 6800/6809 processor, go to http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/SASI/SASI_Hard_Drive.htm. SCSI controllers provide the interface and controller card in one unit, and have some enhanced features over the original SASI.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent

Message: 7