[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Re: CoCo video?

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 14:36:04 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/3/06 2:08:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,  jdag
gett at gate.net writes:

>How  Fast for the 6809?

Well, let's see.  Some tinkerers managed to run a real 6309 up to 4  MHz.

7 years ago at Bell Labs we were designing ASICs that ran at 50 MHz, and
sections of some of them ran at 400.  ISTR the Xilinx FPGAs were running  around
10 or 20 MHz.

By now, you could probably build a 6809 ASIC that would almost output the
results before you fed in the data ;-)  But RAM could be an issue -- though
fast static 64K or even 512K RAM might be feasible, too.  Maybe even put  64K
right on the chip -- in fact, I think we had ASICs with more than that back  then
in my project.

Any of this should be fast enough to enrich your fantasy life ;-)   --Mike K.