[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Re: CoCo video?

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 12:54:06 EST 2006

I'll repeat my contention that what would be fun would be a much faster
6809/6309, coupled somehow to modern peripherals (but still including  floppies).
Add some memory mapping hardware, though the Coco 3 made a very  good start.

This would allow "serious" apps (word processing, MIDI, software
compile/assembly, spreadsheets, online) to run much faster, and new or  re-written old
games could have better graphics and faster response.

But old Coco programs would still run just fine.  Any old games that  use the
cock ticks for timing (instead of software spin loops) would still play  at
the same speed, but be more snappy.

Frankly, though, a good emulator running on a 1 GHz or more Pentium is
probably as fast as an ASIC chip 6309, and the emulator writers have already
solved the peripheral interfacing issues (though no one emulator seems to have
done everything to everyone's satisfaction).
--Mike K.