[Coco] DLOAD

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Tue Mar 21 17:23:08 EST 2006

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to enable the DLOAD comnmand on
the CoCo 3.  I realize that the ROMs are running from "All-RAM" mode and
that DLOAD is normally overwritten, but when I switch to ROM mode (POKE
65502,0) DLOAD still does a warm boot or reset.

Has anybody experimented with this?  I'm going to dig into the ROM source
tonight and see what's happening.

Also, I've tried DLOAD on two CoCo 2's and neither one will send out over
the bitbanger port correctly at the 1200bps setting.  300bps works
great.  Using a serial port monitor on the PC, it shows that no matter what
cable I use and CoCo I use, sometimes the byte (138) gets received as (10)
on 2 different PCs, which tells me that there is probably a bug with the
1200bps setting which is small enough that a start bit and 7 data bits
makes it ok into the PC but the 8th data bit isn't stable.

Using two PCs (one with a standard COM port and the other with a
USB-to-serial adaptor), two CoCos, two cables, no matter how I mix and
match them, I get the same results trying to use DLOAD "FILE",1  the
1200bps setting.

So, my tests prove that it's the delay value for 1200bps in the DLOAD
command.  The code (or the Unravalled Series PDF files) shows that the
delay for 300bps is 44 and the delay for 1200bps is 44*4, but since the
BASIC printer output code doesn't use constant-scaled delays, I can't see
why DLOAD can.

The only way I can test this theory is by using a 64k CoCo 2 which has been
put into the All-RAM mode where the ROMs are copied into RAM and run from
there, and I can patch the DLOAD code.

--
Roger Taylor