[Coco] Re: Tandy Hard Disk Controller (Disto 4-n-1)

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Sun Mar 5 22:13:37 EST 2006

I no longer have the documentation for the 4-n-1, but I seem to recall Tony DiStafano telling me that it was only designed to support a single hard drive or SCSI device, maybe two. I also recall him saying the voltage levels were not sufficient to support a long cable that it should be kept to no more than either 18" or 24", I forget which. That would explain why the CD-ROM wouldn't work as a second device (if it's only designed for one). You'd have to try it with the CD-ROM only. That wouldn't help anyone with the Disto, but there were no CD-ROMs back then and just getting one hard drive on your CoCo was (still is?) quite a thrill! The Disto controller didn't need external power unless you were using the RS-232 port, IIRC. The power for the SCSI controller was all from the CoCo, so it couldn't be much.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent

Message: 4