[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] 3.5" floppies

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 27 18:17:00 EDT 2006

>Atari drives (for the most part) are bog-standard 720K drives; the low
<snip>
>Internal floppy drives used a standard parallel ribbon cable; but the
>external drives did look as if they're a bastardized serial; however,
>I've never had an ST that didn't have an internal drive, so I've never
>used an external unit.

I was refering to the external unit.  I guess I assumed that's what
the original post was asking about.

The actual drive mechanisms themselves on Atari and Amiga are PC
compatible with one exception.  The Amiga unit has a jumper setting
for the Amiga but it can be set as PC compatible.
I think the jumper was for disk inserted sensing or drive select
functionality but I'm not sure... that was over a decade ago.
The external Amiga and many Atari drives could be taken apart and the
drive would work on the COCO.

The factory Amiga A1010 and Atari drives didn't have a standard
faceplate so they are better left in their case.

Now, if I remember right and if you can find one there was at least
one after market Amiga drive that had an external power jack.  Just
disconnect the Amiga interface, check the drive jumpers and make a
custom cable and you'd be in business.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/CFFolB/TM