[Coco] Recovering files

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 8 08:55:45 EDT 2006

Bob Devries wrote:
> Is there a utility that will show me the sectors (clusters) which are
> allocated to a file, or will I need to write that myself?
>
> While I'm about it, is there a coco OS9 programme similar to the OS9/68K
> "CFP", which takes wilcard input, and applies it to a command line you
> specify, especially for programmes which don't handle multiple command
> line parameters (like for instance, deldir), and outputs a single
> command line per wildcard match? (Did I explain that sufficiently?)

You have not specified for which Coco OS. If you are attempting to track
a file in OS-9, use dEd. It won't automatically give you the requested
information but with the tech section of the manual will permit display
of the needed disk sectors.

I sell a raw disk editor for Disk Basic which looks and feels much like
dEd. It will link to a file, follow the FAT, and display only those
sectors assigned to the file. However, the best use per your question is
that described above. Use the tech information for Disk Basic disk
structure along with the program to repair the FAT table in T17S2.

My guess is you are just interested in OS-9. It should not be too
difficult to write a program to open a directory, find the required
file, read the directory entry, and trace the file descriptor links
while compiling a table of data.