[Coco] Format problem in NitrOS9 V030206

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 09:21:45 EDT 2006

I have just this weekend changed over to NitrOS9 V 030206, but I' having
problems formatting disks.

The formatter does the physical disk format, and then baulks at the verify
pass, and issues a "format aborted BAD SYSTEM SECTOR" on every disk I try,
and on both drives.

Besides that, I'm regularly getting ERROR 251 when I try to read a directory
or chd to a different disk. Error 251 is Disk ID Change.
I don't think I should *ever* get that except in the middle of running a
disk related programme, right?

It seems the formatter problems have not gone away yet.

Looking at the disk with ded after the failed format, it seems that the
formatter fouls up the first two sectors of *every* track! I can tell ded to
skip to sector 2 (the third sector), and it will read that no problem, but
then fails at the $12 (first sector on side two of the first track). The
error given by ded is 251! Why? it *should* be 247, or similar.

I'd love to have some communication with the NitrOS9 development team about
this, to see if we can find a workaround for it.

the capacity to be his spokesman,
so that I know how to help the weary.